Child Parent Psychotherapy is intended to reach the most vulnerable young children and families at the earliest possible time. CPP teams work with families in the home to prevent and heal emotional and behavioral disturbances, as well as developmental and learning problems that can result from traumatic early childhood experiences. Sessions focus on the family’s strengths to improve the relationships between children and their parents/caregivers.
Some Experiences that can be Addressed through CPP Include
- Exposure to violence, particularly domestic violence
- Sexual abuse
- Abuse or Neglect
- Death of a close family member or loved one
- Harmful parenting practices
- Mental illness in the caregiver
Who is Eligible?
- Children from birth through five years of age.
- Families with many stresses (such as feeling overwhelmed, alone or hopeless, fighting in the home, drug use, homelessness, not enough money for food and rent, or involvement with the child welfare system.
Benefits of Child Parent Psychotherapy
Our CPP is there to support and help you. We will work together with you and your child so that:
- Your child is happy and healthy, without behavior problems!
- Your child feels safe and secure in a loving relationship built with trust and empathy.
- Your child is learning and successful in school and in life.
- You can be a strong, kind, wise, and loving parent or caregiver.
- You do not feel stressed and overwhelmed by the past and present challenges in your life.
- Your family connects with community based support and services that you want and need.
- You can feel confident and focused so that you can reach your own goals for the future.
For More Information
If you are interested in getting Child Parent Psychotherapy services, and you live in Pasquotank, Perquimans, Currituck, Gates, Camden, or Chowan:
Call: (252) 338-5658
Fax: (252) 338-0879