How To Make a Report

When calling to report suspected child abuse or neglect, please call your local Department of Social Services. These numbers are in the first tab under “Recognizing and Reporting.” If you are out of the area, you can call 1-800-Children or 1-919-733-2580.

It is most helpful if you have the following information available when calling to make a report:

  • The name, age, and address of the child
  • The name and address of the child’s parent, guardian, or caretaker
  • The child’s condition, including the nature and extent of the injury
  • Any information regarding the presence of weapons in the home, alcohol/drug abuse, or other factors affecting safety
  • Where the child is located at the time the report is being made

*The above was quoted from materials provided by Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina (, of which Kids First, Inc. is an Affiliate Agency.